Our little bundle of joy is here! Expected on 6th April, our son, Baby M, chose to make a surprise entry into this world on 5th March itself.
We had gone to the doctor’s office that Friday for a routine visit. The plan was to head to the workplace later in the day and catch a movie in the evening. For the weekend, we wanted to pack our hospital bags, clean the home and wash baby’s clothes. And finally, my mom was to join us three days later, on Monday, to prepare for baby’s arrival.
But baby obviously had other ideas. I guess he wanted to make it clear who’s the boss right at the outset. So as the husband and I sat in the doctor’s office impatiently, waiting to get back to work, the doctor dropped a bombshell on us.
“The fetal monitoring results seem dicey. Looks like you may have your baby today!”
What followed was a mad dash to the hospital, enroute to which the husband and I kept trying to reassure ourselves – it’s probably just a false alarm, we’ll laugh about this later tonight etc. At the hospital, the nurses kept me on a fetal monitor all day. Sometime in the evening, the doctor visited us.
“Are you experiencing any contractions?”, I was asked. “Any pain?”
“Not really, should I feel anything?”
“You are 3 cm dilated and 70% effaced. Your labor is progressing fast!”
Everything happened in a rush after that. The doctor said they’d give me some fluids to try and slow down the labor. She was concerned because the baby’s heart rate was dipping during some of the contractions. If this keeps happening, we may have to operate and get him out tonight, she told us.
Which is exactly what happened. At 7:30 PM, baby’s heart rate dropped to an alarming number. Half a dozen nurses rushed into our room, putting me on oxygen, asking me to go on all fours, paging for the doctor. The doctor came in a few minutes later and recommended an immediate c-section.
At that point, the husband and I had given up trying to make sense of anything. Thousands of miles away from our families, with no one around to look up to for advice or support, we were confused and very very scared. Let’s do whatever the doctor recommends, we thought, and agreed to the c-section. Baby M was in our arms less than an hour later.
The days since have been full of midnight feedings and diaper changes. Yes, I can see all you experienced moms grin at that!
More later when I get some time to myself. Ciao friends!