I am back! The trip was wonderful, short but action-packed. There’s lots to write about but I’m still settling in, so bear with me please.
Till then, I’ll leave you with the 50 secrets PackofJellyBeans tagged me to tell you about.
1. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE?
Yes. A mythological character, mother to one of our most famous Gods. I hated my name when I was young, for all the teasing it brought on.
2. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED?
Last Sunday, when we left Mumbai to come back home to New York. I didn’t really cry, but my eyes were wet when we entered the airport terminal and I couldn’t see my parents anymore.
3. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING?
Naah, hate it! It’s small, round and childish. I envied people with gorgeous calligraphy-like cursive handwriting when in school. But it hardly matters now. My hand shakes when I write more than a couple of sentences these days.
4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCH MEAT?
None. I am vegetarian.
5. DO YOU HAVE KIDS?
No, not yet.
6. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON, WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU?
I am tempted to say – definitely yes – but something holds me back. I have always had very few friends – in school, college or otherwise. And even fewer of these friendships have lasted over the years.
7. DO YOU USE SARCASM?
No. I am not very good at it. People close to me tell me I am too straightforward for my own good.
8. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS?
9. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP?
Not for a billion bucks!
10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL?
I don’t like cereals. But since I am forced to eat them nowadays, Honey Bunches of Almonds is the least intolerable one I find.
11. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF?
Never! And always get scolded by my parents/husband when they catch me at it.
12. IF YOU WERE TO PICK YOU OWN FIRST NAME, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
When I was young I’d pick a new name for myself every few months. But right now I have made my peace with my own name.
13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM?
Chocolate! I rarely ever order any other ice cream when given a choice.
14. WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE?
The expression on their face. I am usually attracted to people with happy smiling faces. I rarely notice clothes or shoes at first glance.
15. RED OR PINK?
Pink. All sorts of pink shades. But red is good too. Dark rich reds. On second thoughts, I might actually prefer red to pink these days. Have I grown up?
16. WHAT IS YOUR LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF?
I am bad at reading situations. Or rather, I rarely try to. I act by impluse rather than thought. I cannot plan my actions and that gets me into trouble more often than not.
17. WHOM DO YOU MISS THE MOST?
My parents of course. Not that you would believe it if you saw us together – we are constantly arguing over the smallest of things. And I miss the husband terribly whenever he isn’t with me. Which rarely happens these days.
18. DO YOU WANT EVERYONE TO COMPLETE THIS LIST?
19. WHAT COLOR PANTS AND SHOES ARE YOU WEARING?
Black pants and shoes. Boring, I know! But I am in office.
21. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
Nothing! Except for occasional sneezes and bless yous from co-workers, a habit that always amuses me.
22. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE?
Yellow. It’s a happy happy color.
23. FAVORITE SMELLS?
My favorite flowers – Rajnigandha, my favorite foods being cooked, forest or country smells, the combination of mehendi and nilgiri oil, the husband’s cologne or aftershave or whatever it is he uses that smells so nice!
24. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE?
25. HOW DO YOU KNOW THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU?
Through her blog.
26. FAVORITE SPORTS TO WATCH?
Cricket, what else? But I need good company, the kind that’ll holler and bite their nails with me. I’m not much into sports otherwise.
27. HAIR COLOR?
28. EYE COLOR?
29.DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS?
Yes. When I am not feeling lazy. Most times it’s the good old chashma.
30. FAVORITE FOODS?
All sorts of chaat. Pav Bhaji. Maggi. Papads.
31. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS?
Happy all the way!
32. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED?
Jab We Met. For the umpteenth time on the plane back home.
33. WHAT COLOR SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING?
A bottle green and black jurta with mustard print on the neck and sleeves.
34.SUMMER OR WINTER?
Summer in New York, winter (such as it is) in Mumbai.
35. HUGS OR KISSES?
Hard to choose, I cannot do without either!
36. DESCRIBE YOUR PENCIL CUP?
It is a beautiful black Rajasthani cup with green engravings on it. Oh, and it’s currently empty except for a pair of earrings!
38. FAVORITE ARTIST(s)?
Madhuri Dixit. I had a huge Madhuri fixation in childhood. I’d scream on seeing her even today.
39. WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING NOW?
I am reading an assortment of Indian author books I picked up in Mumbai last week. I was so excited to get them, I started reading all of them at once! Q & A was the one I read last night.
40. WHAT IS ON YOUR MOUSE PAD?
The name of the company I work for.
41. WHAT DID YOU WATCH ON TV LAST NIGHT?
Barack Obama on CNN.
42. FAVORITE SOUND(S)?
Bird sounds early in the morning.
43. ROLLING STONES OR BEATLES?
Haven’t listened to either!
44. WHAT IS THE FARTHEST YOU HAVE BEEN FROM HOME?
Depends upon how you’d define home. My current home is thousands of miles away from my former home!
45. DO YOU HAVE A SPECIAL TALENT?
I am told I am tough to beat in a debate.
46. WHERE WERE U BORN?
Bombay. By the sea overlooking Haji Ali. Romantic na?
47. FAVORITE PIECE OF JEWELRY?
Earrings. I cannot leave my home without a matching pair on.
48. HOW DID YOU MEET YOUR SPOUSE/SIGNIFICANT OTHER?
I was with my best friend whom he happened to know. She introduced us. I hardly even noticed him then. The interesting part is that all our first three meetings were chance meetings on the streets of Mulund.
49. FAVORITE SONG?
Please don’t ask. Each time I like a song, I tell the husband – this one’s on my top ten list. Your top ten list has hundreds of songs he jokes. But I think I am especially partial to Pehla Nasha from JJWS if you insist I choose. Reminds me of the romantic young me.
50. FAVORITE MUSICAL?
Mughal-E-Azam. Amazing songs and beautifully woven into the story.
A confession – I really enjoyed doing this tag. Felt like one of those movie stars giving interviews for filmi magazines!